What is the cause of taste and odor in my drinking water?

I’ll start off by the water is perfectly safe for consumption, so no worries or concerns in that regards. 

Hot Arkansas summer weather results in a rapid algae growth in our water supply, and this is a typical summer problem.  As the algae decay, they release taste and odor compounds.  Due to the lack of rainfall and reduced flow in the Saline River, our water source, we get this musty taste.  The Benton Utilities Water Treatment Plant personnel are actively working to manage this problem and are currently working to eliminate this issue.  However, there are times of the year when the algae growths can exceed the Treatment Plant’s ability to remove the tastes and odors completely.  In as much as the problem of taste and odor may be apparent in the water, the water is safe to drink. 

We are truly sorry for any inconvenience this may cause you.  If you have any questions regarding this matter, please, call 776-5942 for information.

Benton Utilities | 1827 Dale Avenue | Benton, AR 72015

Copyright © 2015 Benton Utilities | Designed and Developed by