Welcome to the frequently asked questions

If you have questions about Benton Utilities Wastewater, the answers may be found in these FAQs, grouped by topic. If you are unable to find the answer you seek, don’t hesitate to contact us or submit your question using our Information Request Form.

1. What is Benton Utilities Sewer System Operations?

A. Benton Utilities Sewer Dept. is the sanitary sewer service provider for the City of Benton. After water is used in your bathroom, kitchen, or laundry room wastewater is transported to the treatment plant, where the wastewater is treated then released into the Depot Creek. The treated wastewater regularly exceeds the water quality standards of the Arkansas Department of Environmental Quality and the Environmental Protection Agency.

2. What is the difference between water and wastewater?

A. Water refers to potable water or water that is fit to drink. It comes from the tap and is also used for cooking and personal hygiene, as well as commercial operations. Wastewater is the end result of drinking water. Water released after doing laundry, washing dishes, cooking, bathing, etc. This wastewater is treated by Benton Utilities Wastewater Treatment Dept. and released into the environment after quality standards are met.

3. What plans does Benton Utilities Wastewater have for additional capacity needs?

A. We are in the midst of a 20-year capital improvement plan to increase capacity, update antiquated portions of the system and provide service to areas that are not connected to the system.

4. If I see a manhole overflowing, what should I do?

A. If you see a sanitary sewer overflow, you should call the Benton Utilities Dispatch office at 501-776-5930.  After reporting the problem, do not try to take action regarding the overflow yourself.  Once the call is made, a crew will be dispatched, if it is not already on its way.

5. If I live near an overflow site, can I go into my backyard where the wastewater overflowed or is overflowing?

A. In periods of heavy rain or right after, the water coming from the overflow is about one part wastewater to three parts rainwater. There is a minimal health risk for contact with the water, but it is better to err on the side of caution. Children should not play in or around the manholes at any time.

6. Who do I contact with questions about my water bill?

A. All customer inquiries go to the Benton Utilities Billing Service Dept. at 501-776-5923 during normal business hours Monday - Friday 8:00 am – 5:00 pm. That number is listed on your bill.

7. How do I know what my average winter consumption (AWC) is?

A. Your Average Winter Consumption (AWC), is calculated by averaging the residential customer’s actual water consumptions for the months of October through March.

For example, a household might have the following actual consumption:

  • October - 7 Hundreds Cubic Feet (CCF)
  • November - 6 CCF
  • December - 6 CCF
  • January - 7 CCF
  • February - 8 CCF
  • March - 7 CCF

The total would be 41 CCF then divided by 6 (the number of months), which results in 6.84 CCF then rounded to 7 CCF, which is the AWC.

8. How do I determine my total sewer bill?

A. Add the minimum availability charge and volumetric charges.

For example, using an AWC of 7, here is the computation:

  • Minimum service availability: $13.10 (includes first 2K gallons of AWC)
  • Volumetric charge: $5.56 x 7
  • Total: $52.02

9. How do I set up service for the first time?

A. If you are moving into a residence or business inside the City of Benton where service is already established, you will need to contact the Benton Utilities Billing Service Dept. at 501-776-5923, Monday – Friday, 7:00 AM – 4:00 PM.

10. I am building a new home or business, how do I establish sewer service there?

A. First, you will need to contact the City of Benton Community Development Division at 501-776-5938, they will assist you with the necessary permits, etc. you will need prior to starting construction.  You will also need to contact the Benton Utilities Billing Service Dept. at 501-776-5923, Monday – Friday, 8:00 AM – 5:00 PM to pay for the necessary water, sewer and electric connection fees and open an account. 

Benton Utilities | 1827 Dale Avenue | Benton, AR 72015

Copyright © 2015 Benton Utilities | Designed and Developed by